Wind warnings for land and sea
The following warnings are given for sea areas: strong wind advisories, warnings for near gale-force/gale-force wind, storm warnings and hurricane warnings. Warnings about strong wind are given for land areas. Warnings on thunderstorm wind gusts are given in severe thunderstorm warning.
Wind warnings for sea areas use the wind speed average for 10 minutes. For land areas are given about wind gusts. In wind warnings are used yellow, orange and red colour awareness level.
Wind warning for sea areas
- hurricane warning: 10-minute average wind speed over 32 m/s, red
- storm warning: 10-minute average wind speed 21–32 m/s, orange
- warning for near gale-force/gale-force wind: 10-minute average wind speed 14–20 m/s, yellow
- strong wind advisory: 10-minute average wind speed 11–13 m/s or strong gusts (only during the summer season from 1 May to 31 October), yellow
Wind warnings are issued for the next 5 days at the maximum. In warnings for periods longer than 24 hours, the warning for strong wind is only used in summer. An advisory for sea areas is issued for the next 24 hours at the maximum.
Wind warning for land areas
- in winter period (1.11. - 30.4.) and in warnings issued for periods of more than 24 hours: : 20 (yellow), 25 (orange) and 30 m/s (red)
- in summer period 1.5. - 31.10.: 15 (yellow), 20 (orange) and 25 m/s (red).
Wind warnings are issued for the next 3 days at the maximum.
Read more about severe thunderstorm warnings with thunder gusts.