CV Timo Vihma
Title Research Professor, Head of Polar Meteorology and Climatology Group
Postal address Finnish Meteorological Institute P.O. Box 503 FI-00101 Helsinki Finland
Phone number +358 50 412 6365
Fields of expertise
- Arctic and Antarctic meteorology
- Sea ice and snow
- Arctic – mid-latitude linkages
- Boundary-layer meteorology
- Atmosphere-ocean interaction
- Thermal comfort
- Changing Arctic Climate System: Interaction of Stratosphere, Troposphere, and Sea Ice (CACSI), 2012-2016, Academy of Finland.
- European-Russian Centre for cooperation in the Arctic and Sub-Arctic environmental and climate research (EuRuCAS), EU 7th Framework Coordination and Support Action, 2012-2015.
- Towards better tailored weather and marine forecasts in the Arctic to serve sustainable economic activities and infrastructure (TWASE), 2014-2018, Academy of Finland.
- Antarctic Meteorology and its Interactions with the Cryosphere and the Ocean (AMICO), 2009-2016, Academy of Finland.
- Nordic Centre of Excellence: Stability and Variations of Arctic Land Ice (SVALI), 2011-2015.
- Arctic Freshwater Synthesis, coordinated by Climate and Cryosphere (CliC), AMAP, and IASC, since 2013
University and other degrees
- 1988: M.Sc. (meteorology), University of Helsinki
- 1996: Ph.D. (geophysics), University of Helsinki
- 2002: Docent (meteorology), University of Helsinki
- 2012: Adjunct Professor, The University Centre in Svalbard