Report your observations of the summer weather using your Weather app
Your weather observations can be easily reported to the Finnish Meteorological Institute using the Weather app on your smartphone.
We collect observations of the following weather events and the damage they cause:
- Is there precipitation or not? Is there precipitation where you are right now?
- Thunder and lightning - did you see lighting or hear thunder?
- Flood - has heavy rain cut the road off or is the cellar/basement full of water?
- Wind damage - did severe weather bring down trees?
- Hail - how large were the hailstones you saw?
- Tornado - was the vortex over land or water?
The observations are to be collected up until the end of October 2017 in a pilot project to discover how willing citizens are to report their weather observations. The project will also examine how useful observations reported by citizens are for meteorologists and scientists. The reported weather observations will be immediately available to meteorologists making weather predictions.
The app can also be used to monitor your own weather observations and those reported by other users.
Your observations may also continue to be reported using the online service feedback form or individual observation forms. (available only in Finnish)
Weather app download links to Android and iOS smartphones
Ismo Karjalainen, Project Manager Tel. 029 539 2106 email@example.com