CV Carl Fortelius
Title Senior Research Scientist
Postal address P.O Box 503, 00101 Helsinki
Street address Erik Palmenin aukio 1, 00560 Helsinki
Phone number +358 29 525 1394
Fax +358 29 539 4103
Fields of expertise
- Numerical weather prediction
- Urban meteorology and parameterization schemes
- Boundary layer turbulence and parameterization schemes
- Atmospheric energy and water cycles
- 2009-2013: Atmospheric Planetary Boundary Layers: Physics, Modelling and Role in Earth System (PBL-PMES). FP7-IDEAS-ERC project 227915: Leader of working group 3.
- 1998-2000: Numerical studies of the energy and water cycle of the Baltic region, NEWBALTC II (EU-contract ENV4-CT97-0626. Principal investigator for the Finnish Meteorological Institute.
- 1997-2000:Energy and water budget of the atmosphere over the Baltic Sea area; Academy of Finland, project No. 37965. Project leader 1997-98. FMI principal investigater 1998-2000.
- 1996-1997: Numerical studies of the energy and water cycle of the Baltic region, NEWBALTC (EU-contract ENV4-CT950072). Principal investigator for the University of Helsinki.
University and other degrees
- 1993: PhD degree in meteorology from the University of Helsinki. Thesis: The sources and sinks of energy and water in the atmosphere
- 1989: Licentiate degree in meteorology from the University of Helsinki
- 1984: MSc degree in meteorology from the University of Helsinki
Previous professional appointments
- 2001-2008 Head of the research unit for numerical weather prediction at the Finnish Meteorological Institute.
- 1998-2001 Senior scientist in the research unit for numerical weather prediction at the Finnish Meteorological Institute.
- 1989-1989 Acting associate professor in meteorology at the Univ. of Helsinki
- 1984-1997 Research assistant/scientist in the research unit for atmospheric general circulation and climate dynamics at the Department of Meteorology, University of Helsinki
List of publications
Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
Membership of professional bodies
2010-2014 COST action ES1004 European Framework for Online Integrated Air Quality and Meteorology Modelling, Working group 4.
2007- Member of the EUMETNET SRNWP Expert Team of "Diagnostics, validation and verification.
2009-2012Member of the steering group for the EUMETSAT Land Surface Analysis Satellite Applications Facility (LSA SAF).
2005-2008 Member of the EUCOS scientic advisory team E-SAT.
2003-2004 Coordinator of the Baltic HIRLAM cooperation project supported by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
2000-2004: COST action 717 Use of Radar Observation in Hydrological and NWP models Working Group 2.
1995-2005 Member of the BALTEX working group on numerical experimentation (since 2001 the BALTEX working group of energy and water cycles).