CV Jaakko Kukkonen
Title Research Professor
Postal address P.O. Box 503, FI 00101 HELSINKI, FINLAND
Street address Erik Palménin aukio 1, 00560 HELSINKI
Phone number +358 505 202 684
Fax +358 29 539 5403
Fields of expertise
- Prof. Kukkonen has worked in the field of atmospheric physics and chemistry, including especially the development, evaluation and application of mathematical models. The current positions are: (i) Research Professor, Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI), (ii) Visiting Professor at the University of Hertfordshire (U.K.) and (iii) Adjunct Prof. (Docent) of physics, University of Helsinki. He has participated in 24 EU-funded projects and has procured more than 7 MEUR in research income. He has previously been the Head of Air Quality Research Department at the FMI from 2004 to 2013. He has reviewed six professor- or adjunct professorships, been an opponent at three doctoral dissertations, the supervisor of six dissertations and an academic inspector of nine dissertations.
- Transport related Air Pollution and Health impacts – Integrated Methodologies for Assessing Particulate Matter (TRANSPHORM), 2010 – 2014.
- Health and Environment Network, HENVINET. Coordination action, European Union, 2007 - 2010.
- Megacities: Emissions, urban, regional and Global Atmospheric POLlution and climate effects, and Integrated tools for assessment and mitigation MEGAPOLI, 2008 - 2011.
- COST action ES0602 "Towards a European Network on Chemical Weather Forecasting and Information Systems (ENCWF)", 2007 - 2011.
- The development of the consequence model for hazardous substances ESCAPE for the needs of fire rescue authorities, 2013 – 2015. Funding by the Fire Protection Fund in Finland.
- The Influence of Air Pollution, Pollen and Ambient Temperature on Asthma and Allergies in Changing Climate (APTA), 2013 – 2017. Funding by the Academy of Finland. http://www.oulu.fi/apta-en/
- Monitoring Atmospheric Composition and Climate Interim Implementation - MACC-II, 2011 – 2014.
- Pan-European Gas-AeroSOls-climate interaction Study, PEGASOS, 2011 – 2014.
- Non-exhaust road traffic induced particle emissions - Evaluating the effect of mitigation measures on air quality and exposure (NORTRIP-2), Nordic Council of Ministers, 2013-2015.
- Integrated assessment of meteorology and air quality in Helsinki, using air-quality supersites and a meteorological observation network, 2015 – 2017. Nessling foundation.
- Understanding the link between Air pollution and Distribution of related Health Impacts and Welfare in the Nordic countries, 2015 – 2018, NordicWelfAir, funded by Nordforsk. http://projects.au.dk/nordicwelfair/
- Environmental impact assessment of airborne particulate matter: the effects of abatement and management strategies (BATMAN), 2015-2018.
- The assessment of the dispersion of pollutants from fires, for the needs of rescue services, 2017 - 2019. Funded by the Fire Protection Fund in Finland.
- Cost model for air pollution in Finland (IHKU), 2017-2018. Government of Finland, Bioeconomy and clean solutions.
- Global health risks related to atmospheric composition and weather (GLORIA). Consortium, principal investigators Jouni Jaakkola (University of Oulu) and Jaakko Kukkonen. 2017 - 2021, funding by Academy of Finland.
University and other degrees
- M. Sc., Physics, University of Helsinki, 1986
- Doctor, Physics, University of Helsinki, 1990
- Docent, Physics, University of Helsinki, 1992
Previous professional appointments
- Finnish Meteorological Institute, 1986 - present:
- Head of Air Quality Research, 2004 - 2013
- Deputy Director of Research, 2005 – 2013
- Research Manager and Manager of Research team on Dispersion Modelling, 1997 - 2004
- Acting Director of Air Physics Division, 1992 – 1995
- Manager of Research Section, 1992 – 1993, 1995, 1996 - 1998
- Research scientist and senior research scientist, 1986 – 1991
- University of Helsinki (UH), Department of Physics, 1982 - 1985:
- Research assistant and research scientist, Environmental Physics Laboratory, 1983 – 1985
- Teacher and assistant in various courses in physics, 1982 – 1985
List of publications
Prof. Kukkonen is the author of more than 500 scientific publications; about 145 of these are peer-reviewed articles in international scientific journals. His h-index is 44 in Google Scholar; with more than 5900 citations (http://scholar.google.fi/citations?user=DWv3PEgAAAAJ&hl=fi&oi=ao.)
List of publications pdf (in May, 2018)