CV Jukka-Pekka Jalkanen
Title Senior researcher, Ph. D
Postal address PL 503, FI-00101 Helsinki
Street address Erik Palménin aukio 1, FI-00560 Helsinki
Phone number +358 50 919 5455
Fields of expertise
- Dr Jalkanen is the lead developer of Ship Traffic Emission Assessment Model (STEAM) of the Finnish Meteorological Institute. This emission model has been used in several international initiatives to support decision making, for example the "Assessment of the environmental impacts and health benefits of a nitrogen emission control area in the North Sea" report of the PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, the "Economic Impact Assessment of a NOx Emission Control Area in the North Sea", report of the Danish Environmental Protection Agency and the HELCOM proposal "Proposal to designate the Baltic Sea as an Emission Control Area for Nitrogen Oxide" are all based on the work done by Dr Jalkanen. He is also responsible for annual emission reporting of Baltic Sea shipping for the benefit of the Helcom member states. Dr Jalkanen was a national represenative to the Greenhouse Gas expert group of the International Maritime Organization as well as the Black Carbon correspondence group. He was also part of the international consortium responsible for the update work of the 3rd IMO GHG study 2014.
- Work package leader in SNOOP (ERDF), BSR InnoShip (ERDF), SAMBA (ESA IAP), KAMON (Finnish Academy) and SHEBA (BONUS) projects, participated in TRANSPHORM, ICEWIN (subcontractor) and ShipNODep projects.
University and other degrees
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Eastern Finland, Physical Chemistry, December 17th 2003.
- Licentiate of Philosophy, University of Eastern Finland, Physical Chemistry, September 20th 2000
- Master of Science, University of Eastern Finland, Physical Chemistry, January 30th 1998
Previous professional appointments
- Senior researcher, Dispersion Modeling group of the Finnish Meteorological Institute, Period: Sep 2006-present
- Postdoctoral researcher, Physical Chemistry lab, University of Helsinki, Finland, Period: August 2005-August 2006
- Postdoctoral researcher, Molecular modelling group, Dipartimento di Chimica "G. Ciamician", Universita di Bologna, Italy, Period: August 2003-June 2005
- Researcher, Molecular modelling group, Department of Chemistry, University of Eastern Finland, Period: February 1998-July 2003
Other professional activities
- Dissertation committee member for Ms Selma Brynolf, Chalmers Technical University, Sweden, May 23rd 2014
- Reviewer of Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, Environmental Modeling & Software and Atmospheric Environment journals
List of publications