Climate Research and Applications
The main study areas
- natural climate variability and extremes in Finland and surrounding areas,
- past and projected future anthropogenic climate change,
- climate change impacts and adaptation e.g., projects related to agriculture, forestry, energy production and demand, building, traffic, and health
- following the potential of the monthly and seasonal forecasts in regional climate service
- to produce reliable and user-relevant information on the past, present and projected future climate in Finland,
- to promote the use of climatic information in various sectors of the society,
- to disseminate climate change information among policy-makers and the general public,
- and thereby to support national climate policy.
The main research methods
- homogenization and analysis of observed climatic time series (+ conversion of historic weather observations to digital format),
- analysis of model simulations performed with extended suites of global and regional climate models,
- selected climate variability and climate change impact studies.